Monday, January 17, 2022

2021 - 2022 Trip To The Southwest, Day 89

 Monday, January 17, 2022, La Posa West LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ, Day 38

I often wake up far earlier than I want to climb out of bed, and today was no exception. At 3:00AM I was awake. Lucky, the Verizon coverage is still good enough for internet radio. While at home Morning Edition doesn't start until 5:00AM, the 2 hour time difference has it starting at 3:00AM at KJZZ in Phoenix. I usually listen while nodding on & off until my usual wakeup time of 8:30.

Not much sun during the walk for coffee, and at 45°F it felt a bit cold. By the time I got back to the trailer the sun was out and my sweatshirt was too warm. That's Quartzsite!

After breakfast (by the way, while I enjoy most of the strange combinations put together by Langers Juice, their Cucumber Lime with Mint will be a one time venture) I did a bit of cleaning in the trailer & some forum reading.

I spent most of the rest of the day sitting outside reading. I ran out the awning for the first time here at Quartzsite. The arc of the sun is still low enough that it didn't help all that much, one of the reasons I prefer the non powered awning. The power awning is all that was available when I bought the Escape 21 in 2017, and, unlike the non power awning, it cannot be tilted to provide shade with low angle sun. I admit it is much easier to deploy & put away, but not being able to tilt presents a couple of problems - shade for low angle sun is one, and the other is rain puddles in the awning, making it useless in anything but the lightest rain. Because of the automatic retraction in heavy wind, you can't use poles on the outside ends to tie it down. All in all, I'd prefer the manual awning (which is now an available option). I even switched to shorts - it was 73°F at late afternoon.

It is getting crowded here at La Posa West. Not so much here in this section; we have lots of "lookers" but they wander around then leave. Much of this section is not very level. In the section to the north across a small wash it is packed. While the official rule is at least 15' between RVs, this time of year that is often ignored, particularly between friends. 

Looking North From My Trailer At La Posa West

Our Side of the Wash

Around 3:00 my neighbor brought over a bowl of chili - I guess that will be dinner. 

I called my brother David to wish him a happy birthday. Nantucket got lots of rain from the storm moving up the east coast.

More sitting outside, mostly finishing listening to Ian K. Smith's The Ancient Nine, and starting Mike Chen's Here And Now

Dinner was donated chili & soda crackers plus a small salad. While I warned that the chili had a "bit of a kick" to it, I thought it was excellent!

Until Tomorrow - 

No comments:

Post a Comment