Thursday, January 11, 2024

2023 - 24 Trip to the Southwest, Day 88

Thursday, January 11, 2024 - La Paz County Park, Parker, AZ, Day 42 - 0 Miles, 3,402.3 Miles for the trip 

A little warmer this morning at 41°F, but I skipped my 8:30 walk because it was raining. The skies eventually cleared, but it got very windy. The Clam is dancing next to the trailer, and even with the big class A blocking most of it, the trailer was shaking at times. It even pushed in one of the sides of the Clam (but didn't fold it). Eventually the rain stopped and I got my walk in, but wasn't able to listen to my audio book while walking - too much wind noise.

I picked up my package at the office, a new iPhone cover to replace the one falling apart that I got from Apple when I bought the iPhone 13Pro. Unfortunately, I mistakenly ordered an iPhone 13, not the Pro, which has a larger collection of camera lenses. The regular 13 case doesn't fit the 13Pro. I'd send it back, but since the nearest UPS location for returns is in Lake Havasu City, it would cost as much in gas as I'd get back from Amazon. So, another item for the Quartzsite swap meet. I ordered the correct cover and it should arrive Saturday.

While I went for a couple of walks, even at 59°F it wasn't pleasant. Lots of sun, but still very windy. I found John Verdon's Dave Gurney book #6, White River Burning at the NYPL, and when I clicked on it it downloaded the Libby version of the book that reads with the Libby reader; no choice of the Kindle reader. I far prefer my Kindle since it is a comfortable size & weight. The Libby reader only runs on my Mac stuff (iPhone, laptop & iPad). The phone is too small, the iPad to big & heavy for reading handheld or in bed, and the laptop is not all that portable. It also doesn't sync between devices like the Kindle. I'll finish it, but do a better job of checking the available formats before downloading the next book.

The wind died down around 3:00, so I was able to grill outdoors. Dinner was a Butterball Turkey Burger, salad, and chocolate pudding for dessert. I opened a bottle of gifted homemade wine I was given by a fellow RVer that I helped diagnose a converter problem. I usually don't expect much from homemade wine, but it was a very good Chilean Carmenere. I've never had wine from the Carmenere grape before so I looked it up on the internet - "The obscure and almost forgotten grape variety of Bordeaux, Carmenère has been given serious attention in Chile, with very good examples to be found across the country." I'm sure the grapes were grown here, not Chile, but again, very good.

Until Tomorrow - 

No comments:

Post a Comment