Thursday, November 16, 2023

2023 - 24 Trip to the Southwest, Day 32

 Thursday, November 16, 2023 - Gilbert Ray County Campground, Tucson, AZ - 117.4 Miles, 3,060.5 Miles for the trip

I took my time getting out of the park, even dumped the tanks. I used site 19 since the sewer hookup was almost full hose length from the trailer & the one in Site 20 was much closer. I was on the road by 10:00, and arrived at Gilbert Ray by 12:45. 

While I didn't need the rest stop, I stopped to take a couple of photos at the Texas Canyon rest stop. Interesting rocks. There is an expensive dry campground in the area that I've looked at, but never stayed. I have visited the Amerind Museum in the area.

Texas Canyon

Texas Canyon Panorama  (Full Size - 5.3MB)

Check in went smoothly, unusual for me at this campground. I also discovered that section A, my favorite is taking reservations starting today. Unfortunately, they won't let me switch from my reserved site C8 to one in the A section for this trip - reservations are not refundable. The section was closed for electrical updates when I made my reservations for both this trip & the trip home from Parker in the Spring. The volunteer working the desk suggested that I try to make a reservation for the Spring, so after I was set up I checked, and I'm now in A 63 February 20 - 25th. I called Desert Trails & canceled my reservation there. Since Gilbert Ray raised their price from $20.00 to $35.00 with the electrical upgrade, the price difference between the two parks is not all that much ($45.00 per night at Desert Trails in a full hookup site), which is about 5 miles from Gilbert Ray, but Gilbert Ray is much nicer.

After setting up I turned on the AC (it was 85°F in the trailer) then headed to Camping World for my water pump, Walgreens for a bunch of prescriptions, and Batteries + for a couple of CR 2477 batteries for my Sensor Push thermometers. I don't know if it is just the battery or the device that is dying, but I'm getting the message that "the battery voltage is low - please replace" in the one in the refrigerator and it won't update the graphs, so I'll try that first. 

Later - it looks like that cured the problem since it is now updating on my iPhone. While a bit expensive, I like the sensor push thermometers since they not only show the temperatures on my iPhone, but graph by the hour, day, week or month (even the year) and can produce a data file that I can download to an Excel spreadsheet.  I have 4 - one in the freezer, one in the refrigerator, one outside the trailer in my ladder storage tube, and one I keep with my temperature sensitive eye drops.

An Escape 19 pulled in across from me. It is a 2023 being towed with a 3.0L Ram Diesel. He gets 17MPG, much better than my current trip average of 13.07MPG. We chatted for a bit, then I let him finish setting up & came back to the trailer to put today's journal page together.

The Escape 19 (Those are not the Owners in the Photo)

Site C8

I'm in site C8, a back in gravel site with electric only and a picnic table. Not all that level, but with a bit of maneuvering, I was able to get within 1" side to side & a 2" drop to the tongue. Since I'm here for 5 days, and had the mentioned shopping to do, I had to unhook anyway. $20.00 per night. The bathrooms are .15 of a mile from the site and don't have showers. I did half fill the fresh water tank on the way in so I can shower in the trailer, although there is a water spigot within my two hose lengths that I could have used to fill.

It was cloudy when I set up; now there are dark clouds to the west and rumbles of thunder. 

Dinner was a cheese brat & salad.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment