Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Page, AZ

Flowers at Coral Pink Sands State Park, UT

Tuesday, June 21 - Page, AZ-195.8 Miles Today, 6047.2 For the Trip

I'm back to long drives after a bunch of short ones. I started out heading south on UT 12, passing through another beautiful part of the route - The Red Canyon. It is as if they put a main road (well, two lane) through the middle of Bryce Canyon. Great views as well as two short tunnels. After that I switched to US 89 and headed towards Page, AZ.

I made a couple of stops - Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, UT where I took a few photos & the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, a place I've heard about & driven by a couple of times. Not what I expected, but it was a short drive off US 89.  As usual, more photos at the LakeshoreImages page for today.


I'm in site 36 at the Page-Lake Powell Campground. It is in the middle of Page, full sun (at 97°F a change from the last couple of days) but convenient to the Lower Slot Canyon I'm planning to visit tomorrow morning. The next closest campground is Wahweap Campground, 5 miles west of Page, more expensive, but with a nice view of Lake Powell. I'm here for 2 nights since mornings are the best time to photograph the lower Antelope Canyon. I stopped & checked - you can start at 8:00AM & as long as you have a "serious" camera & tripod, you do a self guided tour.

I also made a trip to Walmart (the first one I've found in quite some time) to replace the welcome mat that blew away a number of campsites ago. I am trying a rubber one this time - a little heavier and it may be easier to clean. I also bought a new pair of trail running shoes (not that I'm planning to run on trails!) since my current ones are getting a bit worn.

Not sure what dinner will be tonight - If the rolls aren't mouldy is will probably be a Bubba Burger; if they are I may make spaghetti & meatballs. All serious meal planning goes out the window on a trailer trip. It is really too hot to do two pot cooking, so I sure hope the rolls are OK!

Until Tomorrow -

1 comment:

  1. Jon..I stayed at that campground prior to getting the Casita...had the Xterra and put the rear seats down a a cot in it...July 2008...as you noticed its hot...but part of the joys of camping...battery operated fan and screened the windows and all was well...I'm really enjoying "your" trip...I'm only about a month out before I start heading to the northwest....keep those posts coming...Horst sends

    ReplyDelete