Monday, February 21, 2022

2021 - 2022 Trip To The Southwest, Day 124

 Twin Peaks Campground, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, AZ - 196.8 Miles, 4,430.1 Miles for the Trip

Site 9

Mittry Lake road is definitely a busy thoroughfare. Traffic didn't die down until 11:30PM, and started up at 7:00AM. With the windows closed (temperature was down to 49°F by 7:00AM) the noise wasn't bad. We did have a pleasant sunset.  The sunset photo plus many from Organ Pipe are at  today's LakeshoreImages page.

I headed out around 10:00, stopping at a Walmart where US 95 intersects with I 8 to refill the freezer and grab a couple of their chocolate mousse desserts, and Gila Bend for gas at a very busy Loves truck stop for $3.76 per gallon. It took almost as much time to get out of the station as it did to fill the tank.  It would have taken even longer if a helpful trucker hadn't let me slide in in front of him.

Fairly heavy clouds & 70°F for most of the drive, then after Ajo on AZ 85 the temperature started to drop Down to 63°F and windy by the time I arrived at the park. I'm in site 9, which is a generator site (I didn't notice when I reserved) with a near by bathroom with a solar shower. $10.00 per night for dry sites with the Senior Pass. The site is a pull through with a concrete slab and a concrete patio with a picnic table & charcoal grill. I had to raise the right side of the trailer 2.5" and the tongue 3.75". While the sites are rather close together, there are cactus between most of the sites. A large campground with over 200 sites. I have to admit that it would have been better to reserve further down the rows in the "no generators" area - Generator hours are 8AM - 10:00AM and 4:00PM - 6:00PM. At 4:00 it started sounding like a NASCAR parking lot. At least the hours are short.

After setting up I walked around some of the loops. Saw a number of fiberglass trailers including Casitas, Scamps, an Oliver and many Escapes. Some are folks that came here from the Quartzsite gathering. I took a few cactus photos

If the wind dies down & the sky remains cloudless, I'll try for some nighttime star photos. Organ Pipe is a "Dark Sky" location, although with all the RVs I might have to do a bit of hiking to get away from the outdoor lights.

Dinner was a Lean Cuisine Orange Chicken Bowl.

Until Tomorrow - 

1 comment:

  1. Site 75. Happy hour commences at 3 PM. You know you're always welcome.
    Jerry & Wanda......

    ReplyDelete