Friday, July 1, 2011

Site 46, Flathead Lake KOA, Polson, MT















Well I got my hour back that I lost overnight. I'm in Polson, MT & back on Mountain Time. This is an unusual KOA - a large part of it is a resort of permanently owned paved, level sites. The ones for travelers like me (I'm in Site 46) are gravel & very out-of-level. Even though the site is a pull through with plenty of room, I had to unhook the trailer just to get it close to level. The view makes up for it - snow covered mountains across the valley below the campground.

By the way, I have to give up on my theory that the western states save all their good beef for themselves & send the tough meat to us in the east. My New York cut steak was just about the toughest piece of meat I've ever tried to eat. It was from a place called Pauls, & if it is a chain, I won't be stopping at any more of them!

The drive to Polson was along ID 13 & US 12 and a bit of US 93. There is a very long uphill drive coming out of White Bird which ends at White Bird Hill Summit. A great view of Hells Canyon on the way. US 12 is called the Lewis & Clark Highway since it follows the path they took along the Lochasa River. I managed to photograph some rafters on the Lochasa, but only in a fairly calm part of the river. The problem was I was going upstream, so by the time I saw them & found a place to stop, they were gone.


I'm not doing well with my choices of meat - I stopped at a local Safeway here in Polson looking for skinless chicken thighs, but had to settle for a package of marinated chicken breasts. I cooked one - it was so salty it was barely edible. So bad that I threw away the second breast in the package. Oh well, I'll just have to eat some of the stuff in the freezer. I did find my favorite packaged rice & since I just finished the last package I bought 5 to cover the rest of the trip!

The plan is to head to Apgar campground in Glacier for the holiday weekend. It is only 75 miles from here so I hope to get there in time to find a site. So far this season the campground has never filled; lets hope for the same tomorrow!

Till then -

No comments:

Post a Comment