Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rocky Mountain National Park

Today's Photo - Sprague lake, Rocky Mountain National Park, CO















I made the short drive to Estes Park and I'm now in site 51 at the Estes Park KOA. Yea, I know I said I don't usually stay at KOAs, but the park campgrounds are all full, and it is still hot enough that electricity is a bonus. 

After setting up I drove into the park & up the Bear Lake road. I stopped a couple of times to shoot the stream running along side the road, then parked at the Glacier Gorge Traihead. I hiked up to the Alberta Flls, then on to Bear lake, and took the shuttle bus back to the Glacier Gorge parking lot.

On the way back down Bear Lake Road I watched a bear & two cubs cross the road in front of the car in front of me. I managed to get a picture of the bear as it disappeared behind a tree. If you look very carefully, you can see it! I think it is interesting that I've spent over 2 weeks in parks that are filled with bears & never saw one. According to a ranger I talked with, there are only 20 or so here at Rocky Mountain, & this is where I saw one.

After that it was on to US 34 & the Old Fall River Road to see the Alluvial Fan. That was about the only place in the park we stopped at during our 1996 visit to the park. Tomorrow I plan to drive the length of US 34 across the park - the Trail Ridge Road. We also drove that during the last trip & I remember it was a great drive.


I'm not sure what to have for dinner - I didn't dig anything out of the freezer. I have some squash to cook & the nearest Safeway is only 1.5 miles away, so maybe I'll go get something. On the other hand, it is starting to rain, so cooking outdoors may not be an option. Decisions, Decisions!

Until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. One of our favorites...great N.P,hope you will enjoy the wild life in the park.

    ReplyDelete