Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jewel Cave, SD & More

Today's Photo - Jewel Cave National Monument, SD














Today I felt more like a tourist than I have for most of the trip. I started the day with a stop at the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs. We were there during our 2000 trip to Missoula for Karin's Wedding, and it hasn't changed all that much. They built a building over the area of the dig. Some photos at today's Lakeshore Images Page.


Jewel Cave National Monument was the next stop. I enjoyed the Scenic Tour and took lots of photographs. Again, some are at the Lakeshore Images Page, and more at a page devoted to both caves.


After that I stopped at the National Museum of Woodcarving in Custer. Although there are other contributors, it seems to exist mostly to exhibit the work of Dr. Harley Niblack. Some interesting stuff, particularly the animated works.


One of Dr Harley Niblack's Carvings
I wanted to see what the finished rebuilding of the visitor center at the Mount Rushmore National Memorial looked like. The last time I was there was on a 1996 trip & they were in the middle of construction. It sure is different. I remember sitting under some trees on a hillside taking pictures as the night lighting came on - now there is a large walkway & amphitheater. I don't know if it's an improvement, but it sure moves people through faster than the old set up. Again, some photos at the Lakeshore Images Page.


I saw something I haven't seen in years on the way back to Hot Springs from Mount Rushmore - a haystack. Didn't know anyone used them anymore with all the automatic bailers, etc but there were a couple of fields with them.








I finally got back to the campground around 5:30, made spaghetti & sausage for dinner.


Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment