Sunday, August 13, 2017

Day 9, Sunday, August 13, 2017 -The Virginian Motel, Winthrop, WA

A Barn Along US 97
Sunday, August 13, 2017 -The Virginian Motel, Winthrop, WA, 264.7 Miles, 3,113.7 Miles non towing miles For the Trip

The Motel Oasis Inn, Moses Lake goes on my recommended list (although I only plan on using motels for the immediate future). A great breakfast, complete with a waffle maker, a nice room, oversized pool, etc.

My original plan was to take I 90 to Ellensburg, then US 97 to Pateros, switch to WA 153 to start a run across WA 20. Unfortunately, there was an accident on I 90 West that closed it before Ellensburg. So, rather than getting to Winthrop too early to check in at the Virginian Motel, I decided to take an earlier exit on I 90 that would get me to US 2 and take US 97 south towards Ellensburg. I really didn't want to go to Ellensburg, but I did want to photograph a barn that is on US 97. The last time I was here there were no cattle; it is more interesting with them (although I could do without the truck, so in one of the images I photo shopped it out).After photographing the barn I turned around and headed back towards WA 20. One good thing - notice the smoke has pretty much disappeared!

After that it was back over most of the same roads until Wenatchee, where I got to explore a new section of US 97 (not really new, I drove it during the 2014 trip). I haven't taken WA 20 since a 1996 trip, so even though staying on US 2 would have been faster, I'm still ahead of schedule, so I'm heading through the Cascade mountains & an area of Washington with strange town names. First was Twisp; I'll hit Diablo, Corkindale & Concrete tomorrow.

I'm in room 37 at the Virginian Hotel, a "resort" that has rooms, cabins, etc. It is a nice room on the second floor for $87.85. No restaurant on the premises, so I'll have to head out later to find dinner. I included a photo of a Twisp sign & my building. More barn photos, Twisp & my motel building at today's LakeshoreImages page.

Dinner was a Creamy Greens pizza at the East 20 Pizza & Beer. An excellent thin crust pizza & Alaskan Amber on tap - what more could you ask for?

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment