Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Day 25, Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - Wheeler County RV Park, Fossil & Shaniko, OR, Day 3

Clarno Unit, John Day Fossil Beds National Monument
Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - Wheeler County RV Park, Fossil & Shaniko, OR, Day 3, 0 Miles, 448.2 Towing Miles For the Trip

Last night was another warm evening. I kept the AC running until 8:00 or so, until it cooled below the 78°F I had it set for.

After breakfast I headed to one of the John Day Fossil Bed sites at the national monument. There are 3 sites, 2 of which I visited in 2014. This time I stopped at the Clarno location along OR 218. I stopped along the way (and way back) for a couple of old building photos. I'm glad I didn't have the trailer; lots of hills & switchbacks. I photographed one of them, but it doesn't show up all that well. I will be taking OR 19 to get to my planned next stop, Clyde Holiday State Park, which, at least on the map looks just as hilly.
After a short half mile hike at the Clarno Unit, I headed on west to Shaniko. Shaniko is described as a ghost town, but there is plenty of people living there (at least for a ghost town - it even has a working US Post Office). Lots of old buildings and a Ice Cream parlor that served a great roast beef sandwich for lunch.

On the way back I stopped for another old building, as well as what I hope is an abandoned school in Antelope, OR, another small town along OR 218.

More photos of the park & Shaniko are at today's LakeshoreImages page.

By the way, I haven't mentioned it yet, but the Verizon connection here at Fossil is one of the fastest I've had on the trip. There is no AT&T service anywhere in the area. I'm thinking of getting a Verizon pre paid non data phone just to cover the many no AT&T areas I've found. I don't like having no phone service. It is good that there is strong Verizon coverage - the only radio station is country western, not one of my favorites. I still have XM Radio, but I do like to listen to a "live" connection, and most of XM Radio is anything but. With the 20GB per month of Verizon, I can listen to on line NPR stations, including WRVO, my hometown station, and the Phoenix classical & news stations - they are even in the right time zone!

After returning to the campground i sat out and finished reading Anita Shreve's The Stars Are Fire.

Since I had lunch, dinner was simple - cheese & crackers.

Until next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment