Sunday, August 27, 2017

Day 23, Sunday, August 27, 2017 - Wheeler County RV Park, Fossil, OR

Stonehenge War Memorial, Maryhill, WA
Sunday, August 27, 2017 - Wheeler County RV Park, Fossil, OR, 130 Miles, 448.2 Towing Miles For the Trip

I headed south on US 97, a pretty drive through very dry rolling hills. I stopped at the Stonehenge War Memorial just outside of Maryhill, WA for a couple of photos. Not as nice a sky as the last time I was here, and there is graffiti on the side I wanted to take the photo from, but the wildflowers were in bloom. Lots of windmills along the way.  Photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

The plan was to head to the Burns RV Park in Condon, OR, a county park that got good reviews on RV Park Reviews. Unfortunately, while it looked like a nice place, all the sites were booked until Tuesday. I got a bit nervous about finding a site for the upcoming Labor Day weekend since all the state parks I checked were booked solid, so I went to the only commercial park in town, the Condon RV & Mobile Home Park. While they had a couple of spaces, the place didn't ring my bell. So, I continued south and stopped in Fossil, OR. A very small town, but evidently, the home of the county fair. I'm in site 4 at the Wheeler County RV Park for the next 8 nights, full hookups for $18.75 per night. Clean bathrooms with showers, and only 2 other RVs in the park. Not much shade & it is 95°F outside, but the AC works!

I drove to the Fossil Mercantile, and discovered a good, although expensive, supply of groceries. I also stopped by the Fossil Museum, chatted with attendant & a guy towing a teardrop trailer. Since the museum was closing in 10 minutes (even though they were willing to stay open while I explored) I decided to stop back tomorrow.

Dinner was a microwaved Boston Market Chicken Parmesan dinner, the only one of their dinners I like. Not as good as when it it baked, but I didn't want to fire up either the gas or electric oven.

Until next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment