Saturday, March 22, 2014

Valley of Fire State Park, NV, Day 13

A View of the Campground From A Cove in the Rocks
Saturday, March 22, 2014, Valley of Fire State Park, NV, Day 13 - 0 miles , 6011.9 For the Trip

While it started out as another do nothing day, I decided to explore the rocks behind the trailer. For those that don't want to hike, there are still many interesting rocks & formations here in the campground. All of the first group of photos were taken within 200 yards of the trailer (site 27).

There was a ranger guided hike to Fire Wave today, but since I already did that, I skipped it. When my neighbors got back from the hike, they mentioned that they also ventured on to more rocks behind the wave & an interesting wash that is almost a slot canyon. So, around 4:00 when the light got interesting, I headed out. Met a couple of women from France that were sitting on top of the wave. Took a couple of photos, then headed down the wash (actually, up). Some nice striped rocks, and the textures in the wash were interesting. While walking on the trail to the Fire Wave, my phone rang. Unusual since most of the park is not well covered by AT&T, but my brother managed to try a call when I was in one of the few areas that was covered.

As usual, more photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

Dinner was a surprise - I was going to cook up some chicken, but my neighbors had made a crock pot stew & invited me to dinner. It was great, and for the first time of the trip, I didn't have to cook! They talked with the rangers & extended their stay one extra day (beyond the 14 day maximum) so they will be heading out on Monday, the same day I'm leaving.

Until tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment