Friday, February 2, 2024

23 - 24 Trip to the Southwest, Day 110

Friday, February 2, 2024 - Dome Rock, Quartzsite, AZ, Day 2 - 0 Miles, 3,452.3 Miles for the trip 

After microwaving breakfast, making a pot of coffee and a bunch of overnight furnace runs, the batteries were down to 85%. The best the solar panels were producing was around 160 watts, so I decided to tilt the panels. After tilting, the output jumped to 277 watts. It didn't go all that smoothly - a reminder to ones self - get the ladder out of the tube under the trailer before you set the Clam up 2' in front of the tube door. I also discovered that I need to drill a couple of new holes in the bracket for the front panel. When tilting it the other bolts get in the way. I shifted the position of the panel & got the job done, but it would be easier with the new holes.

As mentioned, I set up the Clam. While the sun is shining, there is still a fair amount of wind. I'm glad Duke wandered over and offered to help. I'm not sure I could have held it in place & staked it down without his help.

The Clam & Tilted Panels

The hummingbirds here in Quartzsite are braver than those at Parker. I moved the feeder, and while I was holding it in my hand one came up to it & fed. Gave me a look that said don't mess with me!

I started taking photos of the rally. Jean wandered around this morning and counted 35 trailers. There are a few more arriving ever hour. One of the roads to "Snob Hill" still has a lake at the bottom. There are still a couple of other ways to get there & quite a few are set up along the upper road.

After wandering around I added the photos to today's page and started a 2024 Quartzsite Gathering Page.

I did a bit of reading, but even out of the wind in the Clam it was a little too cool to be comfortable. It was great in the sun, but then the wind was the problem. It did hit 60°F today, but the afternoon was partly cloudy, and when a cloud covered the sun it felt cold. Still, better than home where it is 20°F. Even with the clouds, the batteries were full by 3:00.

Dinner was a Benihana Hibachi Chicken & Rice bowl.

Until Tomorrow - 

No comments:

Post a Comment