Thursday, February 27, 2020

Day 130, Thursday, February 27, 2020 - Whitewater Draw Arizona Game & Fish Wildlife Refuge, Day 2

Kissing Cranes

Yesterday, I went back late in the day to catch some photos under better lighting.

This morning I looked at the thermometer at dawn and it was 27°F, so even though there was a mass exodus of Sandhill cranes, I didn't see it.

The car that blocked me in left early, so I did get up at 7:30 and backed the trailer up enough so that I could get out even if the 5th wheel in front of me stayed. I believe we are both leaving tomorrow, and they will probably get out before me, but I'm covered.

I wandered down to the pond wearing a coat, wool hat & gloves around 10:00 and took photos until 12:00. By 11:30, I was even able to take off my gloves. I included a photo of the Refuge's Sandhill Crane Web Camera that lets you go on line to see if anyone is home. They also have an Owl camera, but I couldn't get close enough for a photo.

Back at the trailer I relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. After dinner I made another trip to the pond. I met one of the volunteers and was informed that this is not a BLM campground (as my campground app describes it) but an Arizona Game & Fish Wildlife Refuge, so I renamed the title. I was hoping for more sunset light, but the heavy clouds prevented that, and made for very dim lighting. I did get a bunch of "Crane Dances", but by the time the major portion of the flock came back it was too dark for photos, with the exception of a duck in the sunlight on the water. Some of today's photos are on today's LakeshoreImages page, but many more are at the link below.

I put together the promised Lightroom pages with many more photos.

Dinner was an Amy's Cheddar Cheese Burrito, peaches & a hard boiled egg.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment