Monday, December 16, 2019

Day 57, La Posa West LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ, Day 8


A very cool night. While 38°F doesn't sound cold for much of the US & Canada this time of year, here in Quartzsite, it is a bit chilly. The wind doesn't help - the average today is 15MPH.

I decided to eat breakfast at the Bad Boy Cafe, a small restaurant about 1/2 way to the 76 gas station. About the worst coffee in town, but the food is OK, and plentiful. I had French Toast - 3 pieces of thick toast & two pieces of bacon for $9.50.

After getting back to the trailer, I spent the day inside. Too cool & windy to sit outside. I started updating some of the yearly spreadsheets I keep, getting them ready for 2020. Also did some reading on line & on my Kindle. I ordered a new Kindle - the charging connector on my current one is starting to fail. I discovered that Amazon won't ship a Kindle to an address that includes a PO Box. Since a PO Box is part of the address used by Quiet Times, the local mailer for Quartzsite, I was stuck. I had things shipped here last year using the same address, so I'm not sure what changed.

I hate to try to fake the PO Box since Quiet Times is pretty insistent on using the exact address they give out. You need the PO Box because Amazon & others use the USPS for the "last mile" for many orders. That doesn't work in Quartzsite because there is no mail delivery to addresses, only PO Boxes. If a package is sent through the USPS, someone from Quiet Times has to go to the Post Office to pick it up from the PO Box. UPS & FedEx deliver to the Quiet Times building. The whole thing is confusing, but General Delivery at the Quartzsite Post Office is worse - short hours & long lines, long enough that some days you don't get to the window before they close at 12:00.

I then discovered that there is an Amazon Locker at the Blythe Rite Aid, so I had it shipped there. By the time it gets here I'll want to pick up the collection that is growing on my shopping list & there is an Albertson there. No Walmart, but so far there is nothing on the list that needs one.

That was about it for the day.

Dinner was left over meatloaf on a flour tortilla, a salad, and the last of the applesauce.

Until Next Time -

No comments:

Post a Comment