Saturday, November 18, 2017

Day 106, Saturday, November 18, 2017 - La Posa West, LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ, Day 3

Sunset Over Quartzsite
Saturday, November 18, 2017 - La Posa West, LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ, Day 3, 0 Miles, 3,247.8 Towing Miles For the Trip

Last night's "All you can eat" $10.00 cod dinner was great, as usual. When I got back to the trailer I watched a pretty sunset.

It cooled off quite a bit last night - down to the low 50's by morning. Of course I went to sleep with all the windows open since it was in the mid 70's at bedtime, so I was up in the middle of the night cranking them closed.

Lots of sun today, which was good - I was down 50 amp hours this morning. I dug out the portable panel & was getting close to 20 amps charging during the boost stage. By the end of the day, the batteries are back to full.

I decided to check with "local" hardware stores for 5" plastic fence posts to mount under the trailer for ladder storage. At home in Oswego, I just went to the local Lowes & picked up the post & covers. It doesn't work that way at Quartzsite! The posts are not in stock anywhere within 200 miles, so I had one shipped to the Lake Havasu City Lowes. It won't get there until December 2nd. Funny problem - you can't have the end caps shipped to the store, only to your address. I hope they address things correctly so they get through the shipping horrors of Quartzsite.

As long as I was dealing with Lake Havasu City, I scheduled the 30,000 mile check up on the truck. While it would have made sense to schedule it for the 2nd when I pick up the post, that is 2 weeks away, and the truck is within 50 miles of 30K, so I'm scheduled for Monday afternoon.

I also continued to try to purchase an iPhone 10. Since my current phone is a 5, it is about time for an upgrade. I checked & AT&T will only ship a new phone to my home address so they are out. Apple will let me pick one up at one of their stores, and deal with AT&T to keep my current plan & phone number, but an on line order can't be made unless the store has the phone in stock. I wanted the 256GB, Gray version, and no one has one until at least mid December. I don't see why one can't order one, have them notify you when it arrives, then pick it up, but it can't be done. I'll have to keep checking to see when one arrives at the Phoenix store (the closest one to Quartzsite), then place the order.

I spent most of the day sitting (other than while on the phone or computer) outside reading. A bit windy, but warm enough so it was still comfortable.

Dinner was a grilled chicken patty & Bush beans.

Until Tomorrow -

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jon, I've been curious to know how 2 fixed solar panels would work out for you. Interesting you had to set up the portable panel. Apparantly even with 2 panels, not being able to tilt them is less than optimal with the low winter sun angle. In your opinion, would tiltable panels be possible atop an Escape? - Regards. Kurt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I don't carry a generator, I tend to be a bit more conservative than most about replenishing the batteries. I could probably get away with just the two 160 watt flat mounted roof top panels, but since I was down by 50 amp hours, decided to add the portable.

      I'm currently looking into ways to make the roof top panels tiltable...

      Delete