Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Day 103, Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - Borrego Palm Canyon Campground, Anza-Borrego State Park, CA, Day 3

Font's Point
Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - Borrego Palm Canyon Campground, Anza-Borrego State Park, CA, Day 3, 0 Miles, 3,084.9 Towing Miles For the Trip

I spent most of the day visiting some of the park attractions that I haven't seen in previous trips. The first stop was at a group of metal sculptures along the south portion of Borrego Springs Road.

Continuing down Borrego Springs Road to HWY 78 & Buttes Pass Road brings you to "The Slot". There are 3 slot canyons that are listed in the Visitor Center information, and this is the most popular. About a 2 mile drive on a washboarded, hard packed sand road, nothing that a passenger car wouldn't be able to do. A short walk from the parking area to the canyon. None of the Borrego Springs canyons provides the incredible photo opportunities of Upper & Lower Antelope Canyons (the sandstone walls provide wonderful color) in Page, Arizona, but they are true slot canyons, and worth a visit.

Almost 30 miles away, South Palm Wash Slot & Palm Wash Slot are a couple of other slot canyons. To save hiking .8 miles, (and as an excuse to use the 4 wheel drive) I drove to the upper parking area of South Palm Wash Slot. The road from S-22 (the Borrego Salton Seaway) down to the lower parking area is steep & rocky. Once you reach the bottom, 2 wheel drive to get to the upper parking area would be OK, although you do need lots of ground clearance, and 4 wheel drive is probably necessary to get back up the steep hill to Borrego Salton Seaway (HWY S-22). There is parking along S-22, so you don't need 4 wheel drive if you are willing to walk a bit further.

I didn't drive to the Palm Wash Slot - I'll save it for another trip.

On the way back I took a 4 mile, 4 wheel drive listed road to Fonts Point. While there is a fair amount of soft sand, particularly at the edges of the track, I never needed 4 wheel drive. I talked to a guy who drove to the point in a 2 wheel drive Ford Edge, so as long as you don't get caught in the soft edges, it isn't a bad drive. The last 1/2 mile has lots of dips - I did fine at 5 MPH.

Very much worth seeing. The view is over a wasteland that is forbidding, but beautiful. You really need to see it in person. I included a couple of panoramas, but standing on the edge looking over the almost 300° view is impressive. More photos of Fonts Point & the Slots at today's LakeshoreImages Page.

After that it was back to the trailer. I did my usual night before packing, then cooked a New York strip steak for dinner. No where near as tender as the last one, but edible, along with mashed potatoes. I finished off the white wine (I know, wrong for steak).

While it is about 25 miles further to Quartzsite than Imperial Dam, I think I'll head to Quartzsite tomorrow. I want to do Thanksgiving at Sweet Darlene's Restaurant & would feel a bit rushed getting to Quartzsite after Imperial Dam. I'll do my usual Imperial Dam 2 week break when I get bored with Quartzsite.

Until Tomorrow -

1 comment: