Tuesday, March 26, 2024

23 - 24 Trip to the Southwest, Day 163

Tuesday, March 26, 2024 - Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA - 169.8 Miles, 6,359.5 Miles for the trip

We had a high wind warning, 30 - 40 MPH with up to 80MPH gusts for the area. Even got a text from the campground suggesting putting outside stuff away. There were some blasts of wind throughout the night, although not steady. A few small branches down including a few that landed on the trailer, but nothing broken. Rain started around 6:00 AM, and hasn't stopped all the way to Hungry Mother. A cold day, while it was 55°F when I left Townsend, it is now 42°F here at Hungry Mother at 2:30. 

When leaving Townsend, if I'm heading south, I always go through Maryville to get to I 40. Going north it is a bit out of the way, but the alternative is going through Pigeon Forge. TN 321 is a twisty, hilly, narrow road between Townsend & Pigeon Forge, and Pigeon Forge is a traffic nightmare any time of day. I took it anyway, and can't believe how busy TN 321 going towards Townsend was; not ban in my direction. Pigeon Forge was a zoo as usual. Still, I made it through and arrived at Hungry Mother around 2:00. 

I was originally scheduled for site 1 at the Creekside campground, but with the cold & lousy weather I called the park and got it changed to site 13 at Burson campground, a little easier to get to. It is a level site (I didn't need to unhook) on gravel with a picnic table & fire pit (although even with the rain there is a fire ban for the park). Water & electric for $40.00. Even though it was only 2 hours since I made the change, there was the usual information packet in the outdoor rack at the closed office. For a one night stop they sure give you lots of information. A business sized envelope packed 3/4" thick with all kinds of stuff about the area & park (as well as a mirror tag).

Site 13

With the cold & rain (yes, it is still raining, even a bit of thunder) I spent the afternoon in the trailer reading. I finished The Exchange of Princesses by Chantal Thomas, and started Donald Westlake's The Spy In The Ointment. On the drive I finished listening to Don Winslow's Satori & started The Hill House by Blair Howard.

Dinner was A Boston Market Chicken Pot Pie.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment