Tuesday, March 12, 2024

23 - 24 Trip to the Southwest, Day 149

Tuesday, March 12, 2024 - Toad Suck COE Campground, Conway, AR - 94.9 Miles, 5,438.9 Miles for the trip 

Another day, another COE (Army Corps of Engineers) campground. I discovered Toad Suck because of the name; I had to find out why. The name Toad Suck has, like many, a couple of different origins. The most often quoted is "when idle rivermen would congregate at the local tavern where they would 'suck on the bottle 'til they swell up like toads'". It has been voted the worst named town in America by FindMyPast.com. More information about Toad Suck at The Wikipedia entry for the community

I'm in site C7, a mostly level site on a concrete pad on the opposite side of the road along the river sites. Yes, the campground is on the Arkansas River, same as the Aux Arc campground. There is a dam on the river at the campground. The site is water & electric for $13.00 per night with the Senior National Parks card. There is a picnic table & fire pit at the site. One of the bathrooms is nearby. 

Site C7

After setting up, I headed into Conway for a haircut. There are a bunch of barber shops in Conway; I picked the wrong one. A nice enough haircut, but at $50.00 it was the most expensive haircut I've ever had. I should have asked how much before I sat down. I didn't give my usual $10.00 tip, So, try someone other than Mac10 Cuts.

Both on the way & way back there was construction and a single lane section on E. Dave Ward Drive, one of the main roads between the campground & Conway. A very long wait on the way, not as bad going back. 

After my haircut I headed to the shower to get rid of the leftover itchy hairs. There are 4 individual bathrooms in the building, 2 men, 2 women. They are all handicapped accessible, large rooms with the shower at one end a half width wall between the shower & the rest of the bathroom. A fold down seat next to the door for your stuff; another fold down seat in the shower. High pressure, medium volume showerhead with adjustable temperature. While there is no shower curtain, the room is large enough that most of the floor outside the shower stays dry. Overall, while I don't like the non aim-able high pressure shower heads, I rate it a B.

Dinner was fried chicken & fresh asparagus.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment