Thursday, March 3, 2022

2021 - 2022 Trip To The Southwest, Day 134

 Thursday, March 3, Gilbert Ray Campground, Tucson, AZ, Day 4

Great Horned Owl

Another warm night. I was up a little early (for me) and headed to the Arizona Desert Museum around 8:45. $22.95 with a $2.00 senior discount. I wandered through a couple of exhibits, then headed to the 10:00AM Raptor program. A large crowd, but they have a number of "handlers" that get the birds to land near all the parts of the crowd. It is pretty impressive to see the birds fly 6" over the heads of the crowd. The had 3 species - a Great Horned Owl, a Crested Caracara, and a bunch of Harris's Hawks. Lots of photos, although I had the camera set on program, and it selected a shutter speed too slow for good in flight images. Photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

I can't name the hummingbirds, because my iBirds Photo Sleuth seems to think all of them are Costa's Hummingbirds, and I know some are not. I'll just call them hummingbirds.

I got back to the trailer around 2:00. Highly recommend a visit to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. Lots to see and many (over 500) docents spread around the 21 acres & 2 miles of walking paths.

I spent the rest of the afternoon reading or listening to an audio book. I took down the hummingbird feeder so I could clean it up before putting it away for tomorrow's travel. About 1/2 hour later, my hummingbird showed up and was annoyed! Flew around buzzing me for a minute or so before leaving.

Dinner was a grilled Chicken Teriyaki Shish Kabob.

Until Tomorrow - 

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you've been there, but Titan II missle silo is very cool and nearby in Green Valley. https://titanmissilemuseum.org/
    Kitt Peak Observatories are also in the area and worth a gander. Don't go there WITH your trailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to the missile museum near the Badlands, but not that one. Since I'm heading out, it will have to wait for another trip. Thanks -

      Jon

      Delete