Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Watkins Glen State Park, NY

Watkins Glen State Park, NY

Wednesday, September 12 - Watkins Glen State Park, NY - 154.5 Miles Today, 15,930.6 For the Trip

After breakfast this morning I headed southeast to Watkins Glen State Park. I've never been to Watkins Glen so since it is only around 75 miles away, why not?

I hiked the Gorge Trail from the bottom to the top (1.5 miles & 800 steps) and back since there was no shuttle service today. The water levels are very low, but many of the waterfalls still have enough to look pretty. Overall, the glen is much more "denaturalized" than any others I've visited, however I suspect that is about the only way one could walk through it. I guess with the low water levels it would be possible to walk the river, but you would still have to climb the many waterfalls, and swim the many deep pools. So, I climbed the staircases, leaned over the walls to shoot photos (finding good positions to shoot most of the waterfalls & cascades is impossible due to the restrictions of staying on the walkways). In any case, I'm glad I went. You will have to excuse the blurry people in some photographs - while it wasn't all that crowded, there were far more people than in places like Ricketts Glen or Grimes Glen. Like Letchworth, they have a railroad trestle crossing the glen, although this one isn't quite as high as Letchworth's (last photo) All in all, not my favorite glen, but now I can say I've been there.

I got back to the campground around 3:00 & read for a bit before starting to put today's pages together. Dinner will be a pot pie.

Until Tomorrow -

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete