Monday, May 21, 2012

Rockhound State Park, NM

Sunset At Rockhound State Park, NM

Monday, May 21 -Rockhound State Park, NM- 57.4 Miles Today, 3352.9 For the Trip

OK, time for my first "gripe" with Reserve America. I looked up Rockhound State Park and Reserve America told me there were no electric sites available for 2 nights, and only one for today (Monday). So, I reserved it & paid a $10.60 reservation fee on a $14.00 site (a bit much). Anyhow, when I got here there were empty electric sites all over the place. Seems only some of the sites can be reserved, and Reserve America doesn't tell you that there are first come electric sites their map indicates that the other sites are not available - they are, but not through Reserve America. So, while I'm in site 18 tonight, I will have to move to another site for tomorrow.

The park is beautiful. Hot (102°F this afternoon) but beautiful. The desert sun is a physical thing that hits you over the head. You can get used to the heat, but I'm not sure that is possible with the direct sunlight. It is also very dry. I took out a couple of slices of bread when making lunch, and by the time I got out some mayonnaise to spread on it they were crusty!

Since it was a short drive, I arrived a little after 11:00 so it was still cool enough for a walk. Took the "Thunder Egg Trail" that goes up the side of a hill & back down into the campground. If I do it again tomorrow I'll take the camera - a neat view of the place. I did find a couple of interesting rocks - not gemstones, but worth adding to the empty slots on the printer's type case on my living room wall (I'm dating myself by admitting that I have set type using one of these cases - I doubt there are very many people who know what they were originally used for.)

Dinner was simple tonight - a couple of Nathan's Hot Dogs & Grand Ma Brown's Sauce Pan Beans. Let me tell you - Nathan's hot dogs do not compare favorably with Syracuse's Hoffman's hot dogs. After that I sat around and read until the sunset, which was worth photographing. I don't shoot many sunsets, not sure why since many are pretty, but tonight's was an exception.

As usual, more photos at today's LakeshoreImages post.

It got very windy after dark - it it clears up (both the wind and the clouds) I'll try for some star photos - it is pretty dark here in the campground with interesting lights in the flats below.

Till next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment