Friday, May 18, 2012

Balmorhea State Park, TX

Site 20, Balmorhea State Park, TX

Friday, May 18 - Balmorhea State Park, TX -195.8 Miles Today, 2,862.9 For the Trip


More driving along I 10 in Texas. Lots of wind today.  Wish it was behind me since that would improve the gas mileage, but then it could have been a headwind.  It was cross winds, and I could definitely feel them as I hit the road cuts through the hills.  Nothing to hairy, but you could tell when it stopped & started.


I stopped for the night (well actually, early afternoon) at Balmorhea State Park, Site 20. It has water & electric & boy, do I need the electric. While the weather report says it is going to hit 95°F, my outdoor thermometer says 108°F. I thought it might be lying since it is inside the LP tank cover, but I opened the cover to let more air through & it went up to 116°F. No matter how you look at it, it's hot! Maybe not to a Texan, but I live on a lake where we rarely break 90F. Of course this is "dry heat" what ever that is! I wish the photo could show the heat, but you will just have to imagine it. 


The park is OK, but other than a roof over the picnic tables, there is no shade. I did wander around the park & found the swimming pool fed by the San Solomon Spring & the Cienega (a kind of swamp) that they rebuilt after the pool installation destroyed the original. Filled with turtles, catfish & minnows. There are more photos at the LakeshoreImages page for today.


The AC is going & even in this heat the temperature in the trailer is fine. I'm going to wait a bit before I go outside to sit & read. Not sure what will be for dinner - I know there will be left over rice from yesterday, but I haven't decided what will go with it. It is probably a good day for something other than milk to drink since I dumped what was left of the last half gallon. It wasn't bad, but milk tends to pick up local flavors, depending on what the cows eat, and I really didn't like it.


Well, dinner was canned soup. I didn't want to fire up the grill so I knocked off one of my "emergency" meals. By the way, it is now 11:08 & it is still 83°F outside (and, of course the thermometer is not in the sun!) I may restart the AC - I tried it with it off to cut down the noise but it is pretty warm inside.


That's about it for the day - hope to have some photos of the Guadalupe Mountains tomorrow.


Till then -



No comments:

Post a Comment