Friday, May 18, 2012

Caverns of Sonora, Sonora, TX

Caverns of Sonora, Sonora, TX

Thursday, May 17 - Caverns of Sonora, Sonora, TX - 162.5 Miles Today, 2,667.1 For the Trip

You can tell by the title of the page that I decided to go to Sonora and see the cave rather than drive to San Angelo. Even though I don't enjoy driving on interstates, I have to admit that I 10, at least in this part of Texas isn't anywhere near as bad as it is in Louisiana. The last time I drove it in LA it rattled everything loose in the car, let alone the trailer. Even though the speed limit is 80 MPH & I was only doing 57 MPH, the traffic passing me wasn't that bad.

Anyway, I arrived at the Caverns of Sonora campground around 12:30, got set up (pick your site, no site numbers, and $20.00 for water & electric) and got a tour for another $20.00. I have to give Horst a big THANK YOU for suggesting I stop at the caverns. I would have passed this by on my way to Carlsbad, and as far as I'm concerned, this has been the most beautiful caves I visited. It was also a great tour. All in all, I have way to many photos - I am posting a separate set of pages with over 70 and only posted one of them here.

By the way, this is not the cave to go to if you want to cool off on a hot day. While it is 71°F in the cave, the humidity is 98%; the 90° weather outside feels cooler! Lots of steps to climb, but we had plenty of time (there were 3 of us on the tour.) Hard to believe, but the woman on the tour was from Mexico, NY, born in Oswego, and worked on one of the summer productions at the college while I was teaching. A very small world!

Actually, the photos (and this page) won't be there until I get an internet connection - No WiFi, AT&T or Verizon here at the campground. I'll probably stop at a rest stop to post all of these pages.

It is now 6:22, and the outside thermometer is down to 91°F (While it is inside the LP tank cover it still has the sun hitting it) so I'll finish up the pages & make some dinner.

And now it is 9:06 on Friday morning & I have to thank the Super 8 Motel for their WiFi, letting me post yesterday's update.

Till Later!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the caverns...and the icing on the cake was the guide from Oswego .....to me this is what makes these trips truly a journey of memories!! Can't believe how hot is ....Glad I went in late December early January (ha)....thanks for sharing...Cheers Horst

    ReplyDelete