Thursday, March 23, 2017

Day 144, Thursday, March 23, 2017, Cedar Point Campground, Foss State Park, OK

Site 13, Cedar Point Campground, Foss State Park
Thursday, March 23, 2017, Cedar Point Campground, Foss State Park, OK, 197.1 Miles, 6,432.5 Miles For the Trip

I got an acceptably early start for the day, leaving the campground at 8:00AM. A very windy drive. Unfortunately, side winds, not a tailwind for most of the trip. I only averaged 11 MPG for the day, and getting a good shake at underpasses. There were a number of trailers on I40, and most of them were jumping around more than the Escape, so I didn't feel too bad.

I looked for a state park not too far from I 40, and selected Foss Lake. They have a bunch of campgrounds, 2 of which have electric & water. I tried to call to see if there were sites available, but only got a recorded message that told me to use the "Iron Ranger" to book any non reserved site. Of course that didn't tell me if any were available, but there was a KOA 10 miles away, so I went for it.

The first stop was the Cottonwood Campground with around 30 sites, all empty, with no reservations. It looked lonely, so I drove on to the Cedar Point campground, which is on the lake. 4 RVs at Cedar Point, so I parked in Site 13. I had to ask one of the park maintenance drivers for the location of the Iron Ranger - it was next to my site (but I have to say is didn't look like any Iron Ranger I've seen before.) It is a very nice site; even has a stack of firewood at the fire ring, but it is far too windy to use it or even sit around outside. I hope it calms down by evening. There is excellent Verizon & AT&T coverage here at the campground.

The wind has not let up - in must be a steady 30MPH with stronger gusts. Even with the trailer still connected to the truck & all 4 stabilizers down, it is rocking in the wind. It is even rattling the trailer step!

It is a long walk (and into the wind) to the bathrooms. A strange location for them - the bathrooms with showers are in the picnic area, not near the RV section. Pay showers ($1.00 for 6 minutes) with low flow/high velocity showerheads. They also have a laundry at $1.50 per load. Tempting, but I don't have quite enough for a load. I'll have to decide if I want to brave the wind for a shower later.

Dinner was soup & a sandwich - no way I was going to grill outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment