Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Buckskin Mountain State Park, AZ, Day 10

Sunset
Wednesday, December 18, 2013, Buckskin Mountain State Park, AZ, Day 10 - 0 miles, 4,822.7 For the Trip

I seem to remember a post not too far back where I said I don't want any more exciting days. Well, I guess I should have been more specific - I had a real exciting night. Around 9:00 I settled down to do some reading and all of a sudden my heart rate went from its normal 55-65 beats per minute to around 150. I waited a couple of minutes for it to go back to normal, it didn't, so I called 911. A fire truck, ambulance & sheriff all showed up & off I went to the Parker Hospital. Diagnosis - Atrial Fibrillation. Something completely new - I've never had any heart problems. It took about 2 hours in the emergency room to get me back to normal, and an overnight stay at the hospital to make sure it stayed that way. So far, so good - I've got some follow up appointments while I'm in the area & will have a better idea of treatments, etc after them, but for now everything is back to normal. None of the doctors felt I should immediately give up my trip & head back to Oswego - as long as it is under control, many people live with the problem. During the next couple of weeks doing the follow up stuff I'll get a better idea about continuing.

Getting back to the campground was also interesting - there is no taxi service in Parker, which is about 14 miles from the hospital. The hospital tried a number of things, and in the end a wonderful nurse gave me a ride back to the trailer. Wouldn't even take any money for gas - it may be a small hospital, but the staff was great!

Other than that, I was also upset that I was not able to connect via Skype with my granddaughter Valerie on her 6th birthday.

Until tomorrow -

1 comment:

  1. WOW....what a kick in the a..I guess you are going to stay in the area for a while...Keeping my fingers crossed for you...now...I know I’m in Texas, couple 3 days away....but if you need assistance getting home...I’ll drive out and get you to an airport to fly home and then meander back with your camper to Oswego...just leave lots steaks in the camper...hehe, seriously, if you need anything let me know...take care...get well and continue your great adventure...Horst sends

    ReplyDelete