Friday, December 6, 2013

Lost Dutchman State Park, Day 5 & Petroglyphs

Petroglyphs

Friday, December 6, 2013, Lost Dutchman State Park, AZ, Day 5 - 0 miles, 4,619.4 For the Trip

I woke up to a frozen water house this morning, and 27°F on the outside thermometer. It didn't happen to my neighbor, but I'm connected through my short hose which doesn't reach the ground. I suspect the residual heat from the earth keeps a hose on the ground from freezing. By the time I ate breakfast the sun came out and the frozen hose was back to normal.

David and Bill, a friend of his from Colorado invited me on a hike to a group of petroglyphs in the Tonto National Forest. Not too much of a climb, and about 3 miles round trip. Lots of petroglyphs around a small creek. While many of the washes in the desert are only streams after a rain, this one looks like it is fairly constant - there in algae in the bottom of the pools. I suspect the Native Americans that did the artwork used the area as a water source. There was a nice balanced rock above the petroglyphs, but too far to hike to and too short a lens for a good photo. Many more photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

After the hike we went to the Goldfield Ghost Town. Billed as "Arizona's Only Authentic Ghost Town" - it is basically a craft & tourist trap, although there were some very nice & interesting crafts. The Mammoth Saloon serves a huge 8 ounce, delicious cheeseburger covered with mushrooms, onions, lettuce & tomato that came with good French fries. After lunch we walked around the various shops, than came back to the campsite so I could show Dave & Bill my trailer. I had a great time with the, over the last couple of days - and will probably meet up with David and his wife Paula at the Quartzite Fiberglass get together in February.

Dinner was the 8 ounce hamburger I had for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment