Monday, December 30, 2013

Cattail Cove State Park, AZ, Day 8 & Crack in the Mountain Hike

The "Slide" in the Crack in the Mountain Hike
Monday, December 30, 2013, Cattail Cove State Park, AZ, Day 8 - 0 miles, 4,860.4 For the Trip

After breakfast I decided it was time for a hike. I picked up a list of local hikes from the tourist center in Lake Havasu City, and while many required a high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle to get to the start (the RAV4 may be 4 wheel drive, but high clearance it isn't) one of the hikes listed started from a paved parking lot. It included a slot canyon, so I went for it. The hike is called "Crack in the Mountain Trail", and continues on to the shores of Lake Havasu & Balanced Rock Cove.

Not a difficult hike, although at 5 miles round trip, a bit longer than I've taken lately. I took the Yellow Trail through the slot canyon & to Balanced Rock Cove, and the Blue Trail back to the parking lot. The Yellow Trail follows a sand & gravel wash until it reaches the "Crack". Not the most difficult slot canyon I've crawled through, although there is a slide down a 7' dry waterfall that is interesting. While someone left a rope, I'm glad I didn't have to haul myself back up it. Because the top of the canyon is open to the direct sunlight, it isn't as colorful as those at the Antelope Canyons in Page, AZ.

The balanced rocks at the end are interesting, but not as impressive as those that have a narrow bottom such as Mexican Hat & Arches. The Blue Trail followed hard packed sand paths along ridges that overlooked much of the Yellow Trail.  More photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

After the hike I stopped at the Lake Havasu City Safeway for some chicken thighs to freeze, and a few other supplies. Dinner was a Black Angus Burger & the rest of the left over rice from yesterday.

Until tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment