Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Day 17, South Toledo Bend State Park, Anacoco, LA

Crossing the Mississippi
Another warm night. The radio station I've been listening to covers most of Mississippi, and is predicting Thursday's high to be 40°F cooler than Wednesday's at 72°F. I hope I will be far enough southwest to avoid the drop, but I can't complain about the weather. On the drive to South Toledo Bend it reached 78°F.

Since I don't have a dash camera, it was a quick shot with my iPhone 7 of the bridge crossing the Mississippi River between Natchez, MS & Vidalia, LA. I now feel like I'm really on the way to Arizona. The radio stations changing from W--- to K--- is another sign that I'm on the way.

Not a bad drive on US 84 & LA 28. My blog from the last trip between the Natchez State Park & South Toledo Bend described the road as terrible. They must have repaved it. A few rough sections, but for the most part a smooth 2 & 4 lane roads with speed limits between 55 & 65MPH.

I arrived at South Toledo Bend State Park around 1:00. I checked on line this morning, and there were many open sites, so I didn't make reservations. I stopped at the office & booked a site using the map. They suggested a pull through so that I wouldn't need to unhook. While the pull throughs are a bit more expensive, they have a "62Plus discount" bringing the price for an electric & water site to $20.01 with tax, reservation fee & discount. Not bad, although when I got to the site I had to unhook anyway since the slope was bad enough that I had to lower the tongue well below the truck's trailer mount. I checked the other pull through & back in sites, and most of them had the same problem, so it only cost me $2.50 extra. A short walk to the bathroom, which has $1.00 washer & dryers. Too bad I don't have enough in the laundry bag to do a load. The site photo is at today's LakeshoreImages page.

Since it is a nice day, I will get out the grill & cook up a Bubba Burger. As to the grill, I purchased a "Giantex Propane Tabletop Gas Grill Stainless Steel Two-Burner BBQ, with Foldable Legs" last March & have only used it a couple of times. While it has done two things I really wanted that the Coleman Grill/Stove didn't do (2 burners so you can shut one off to "bake", and a high domed cover that lets you melt the cheese on a cheeseburger, bake a roast, etc) it is impossible to clean. The design lets grease drip all over the underside beneath the burners, and the flame shields don't drain off the grease so they often flair up. They also shake loose while driving, requiring getting greasy trying to put them back in their slots. Lots of sharp edges that slice up your hands when trying to scrape off the congealed grease with a scraper or paper towel. It is also huge. All in all, I'm starting to look for a replacement. I like my Weber grill at home, and they make some small travel grills. Only one burner, but lots of RV folks use them.

So, dinner was a Bubba Burger, Chancy's Baked Potato Chips & Tabatchnick Creamed Spinach.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment