Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Day 170, Tuesday, April 18, 2017, Cumberland Mountain State Park, TN, Day 3

Ozone Falls
Tuesday, April 18, 2017, Cumberland Mountain State Park, TN, Day 3, 0 Miles, 7,492.1 Miles For the Trip

Rain off & on all night & morning. Mostly light, but it didn't go away until around 11:00AM. Even then, it only got down to a light mist. I decided to head to Ozone Falls. Only about 15 miles from the campground on Deep Draw Road & US 70 / TN 1. The closer I got to the falls, the harder the rain fell. A good AT&T signal at the parking area, so I checked my weather radar app & it showed the rain throughout the area, with no break in sight, so since it wouldn't help to wait, I decided to give it a try anyway.

A short, flat hike to the top of the falls, where I met a family exploring. I too a few photos, then headed for the trail to the bottom. Very rocky, steep, and the rain was still falling. I was soaked & muddy from slipping and sliding into a puddle on the way, so I passed it up. I'll have to visit these two waterfalls during dry weather!  More photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

Of course, as soon as I got back to the campground, the rain stopped. I sat outside & read for awhile. It started to rain, so rather than cooking inside, I headed to the campground restaurant for dinner. The buffet was better than the one at David Crockett (which, I'm afraid, isn't saying much). The sides & salad were OK, but the pork chops were dry & tough.

Until tomorrow -

1 comment:

  1. Hiking to a waterfall on a rainy day can be hazardous to your health. Good choice to take it on when the day is clear and dry. Maybe the falls will be more after the rains.Thanks for the share.
    freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete