Saturday, July 23, 2016

Stony Brook Recreation, Hanover, ME

Champlain Memorial Lighthouse
Saturday, July 23, 2016, Stony Brook Recreation, Hanover, ME 189.4 Miles, 413.5 Miles for the Trip

Another early morning - I just can't get in the "vacation" mode, and sleep in. In any case, I sat around listening to NPR, had a yogurt for breakfast, made a pot of coffee, and slowly got the trailer ready to move. We did stop by the lighthouse for a picture on the way out of the campground.

Most of the day was spent crossing Vermont, New Hampshire and a bit of Maine on US 2. I did much of this section during my trip to Nova Scotia two years ago and don't remember US 2 being in as bad shape. Lots of patched road with lumps & bumps, but they are rebuilding some of the bridges - automatic stop lights to make use of one lane for both directions. We hit quite a bit of rain along the way. Unfortunately, my attempts at fixing the leak in the ARE topper were unsuccessful. I suspect if is leaking at the front of one of the side windows since I pretty much caulked or backer rodded the edges of the joint between the shell and the truck sides. I'll keep working at it, but I have to say that I have not been impressed by the ARE quality. Leaks, fiberglass shards on the inside, and at the top front, a window that isn't - there is a piece of smoked plastic that looks like a window from the outside, but a hole through the shell was never cut. Probably just as well, it would probably leak.

We pulled into Stony Brook Recreation campground around 3:30. The site map shows sites 5 & 6 (I'm in 6) next to each other. Only problem is the horse shoe pits, shuffle boards, etc are between the sites, so we are a long way apart. On top of that, I paid for an electric & water site, but the only electric & water is connected by sharing the pedestal at site 4, too far away for a 30' cord (and there is only one 30 amp receptacle (which is being used by the occupants of site 4) - I'm connected to a 15 amp receptacle with an adapter, my 30' cord & a 25' extension cord. Good thing it is raining & I don't need the air conditioner. I have to say this is not my favorite campground of this (or, probably any) trip. The site photos are at today's LakeshoreImages post.

Enough griping for the day; I'm probably whining because of the rain...

Since it is still raining, dinner will probably be Chimichangas nuked in Don & Anne's microwave. Even if it stops raining, the trees will keep dripping so we will want to stay inside.

Until next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment