Friday, March 11, 2016

Rio Grande Village Campground, Big Bend National Park, TX, Day 3, & The Terlingua Ghost Town

The Holiday Hotel
Friday, March 11, 2016, Rio Grande Village Campground, Big Bend National Park, TX, Day 3, & The Terlingua Ghost Town, 0 Miles, 5,078.3 Miles for the Trip

After breakfast I decided to head to Chisos Basin to see if my trailer will fit in the space I have reserved for next Tuesday & Wednesday. On the way to Panther Junction I drove through the section of the park that had a wildfire a few weeks ago. If you think the desert doesn't burn, here is photo proof that it can!

A pretty drive to the Chisos Basin campground, although quite a hill getting into the place. My site does not look anything like the photo on the Rec.Gov web page, but the trailer will fit. It is really a tent site with a parallel to the road parking space that will just fit the trailer & RAV4.

Since I was already half way there, I continued west to the Terlingua Ghost Town. A couple of people told me it was a required stop, and a couple of others said it was a ghost town that isn't. I'll have to agree with the second group. It isn't an empty ghost town such a Bodie Historical Park in California, but it also isn't a tourist package like the Goldfield Ghost Town in Apache Junction, AZ. Instead, it is a collection of broken buildings combined with bars, stores, hotels (the one in the photos has signs advertising it as open even though it is missing much of its roof & windows) and other abandoned & functioning buildings, as well as people's homes. More photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.


I have to admit is is somewhat interesting, but I didn't spend a lot of time there. On the way back I stopped at a grocery store in Study Butte (the nearest one to the campground & about 44 miles from Rio Grande Village). I should have picked up a bunch of pre mixed, bottled tea since I drank my last one after getting back to the campground, but forgot - didn't have it on my list...

The sun has been peaking out around the clouds - enough to fully recharge my batteries, but not enough to make sitting outside completely pleasant. Still, that's what I did most of the afternoon. I'll take my laptop to the village store to post this page & check my mail when I'm done.

Dinner will be spaghetti, sausage & meatballs.

Until the next internet connection -

No comments:

Post a Comment