Sunday, February 28, 2016

City of Rocks State Park, NM

Site 5, City of Rocks State Park, NM
Sunday, February 28, 2016, City of Rocks State Park, NM, 193 Miles, 4,615.2 Miles for the Trip

I got my usual "travel day" start at 8:45 this morning and headed east. The original plan was to stop at the Chiricahua National Monument, but the campground was pretty full, and not reservable on the day before arriving, and the main road through the monument is closed. That would add a couple of additional miles to a 6 mile hike that I wanted to do, so I decided to put it off until another trip.

I headed for one of my favorite New Mexico State Parks, City of Rocks. You would think I had enough of rocks with yesterday's wanderings around the Dragoons, but here the campsites are interspersed with the rocks.

Most of the other times I've stayed, it was only for a night or two & I usually took a site in the Electrical hookup section. The non electric sites are much nicer, and this time the electric sites were all filled, so it is back to dry camping. I'm in site 5, also known as Aquila, for a week at $7.00 per night. The sites in the park are named after constellations. While dry camping, the park has restrooms with showers not too far from my site.

Please excuse the flare on the site photo - the sun was into the lens & the Nikkor 24-70mm lens doesn't like that! The second image is the view from my front window. Looking at both, you can see why the campground is one of my favorites.

While there is strong 3G Verizon coverage with my outside antenna & amplified Jetpack, my iPad only gets a slow 1X service. No AT&T at my site or the office, so I won't be talking on the phone. I do expect to be using the furnace - while it is a pleasant 75°F this afternoon, nighttime temperatures are expected to be in the mid 30's all week. Dinner will be a Santa Fe Salad.

Until tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment