Saturday, June 20, 2015

Rotary RV Park, Fort St John, BC & Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway

Mile 0, the Alaskan Highway
Saturday, June 20, 2015, Rotary RV Park, Fort St John, BC, 136.1 Miles Today, 2692.9 Miles for the Trip

It rained most of the night, light & heavy, tapering to a very light mist in the morning. Since I had unhooked the trailer to get the RAV4's oil change, I decided to re hook things while it was only misting at 7:00AM. Of course it only got better, but the sky looked like it might start pouring any time. We left Happy Trails around 10:00 & drove to Dawson Creek, the official start of the Alaskan Highway.

We stopped at the Visitor Centre, picked up a fuel & campground list that covers most of the locations between Dawson Creek & Tok. I also bought a sweatshirt, my first clothing purchase of the trip. For those that followed some of my past trips, "T" shirt purchases are central to my travels, but I held off until now! Of course I had to take some photos of the sign at the start of the highway as well as the trailers.  The photos will be available at the June 20th link on the Alaska Trip index at LakeshoreImages once I am able to post them.

We spent a fair amount of time in Dawson Creek, then headed north on 97 (again, the Alaskan Highway). We stopped for the afternoon at Charlie Lake, BC and the Rotary RV Park. #31.20 (with a Good Sam's discount) for Water & Electric. No picnic table - we are basically in a parking lot with hookups. Charlie Lake is just behind out sites - I took a few photos of a memorial to some of the soldiers that drown building the highway.

We spent the afternoon reading & goofing off. I still can't post my pages via Dreamweaver, and suspect the campground WiFi is blocking FTP. I hope so - I've had uploading problems before with Dreamweaver, but not with the more recent cloud based versions (Dreamweaver CC).

Dinner will be some kind of shrimp dish Anne is putting together.

Until the next internet connection that works!

No comments:

Post a Comment