Sunday, January 12, 2014

La Paz County Park, AZ, Day 7

Strange Cloud

Sunday, January 12, 2014, La Paz County Park, AZ, Day 7 - 0 miles 4,878.8 For the Trip

A typical Sunday morning - read the Syracuse Post Standard newspaper on my iPad. I much prefer it on paper, but it would be tough getting it delivered here in Arizona! I have to read it on the iPad 4 days a week anyway even at home; like many newspapers in the US, the Post Standard went to 3 days a week on paper & 7 days on line.

I took my daily 2 mile walk around the campground in two sessions today. The second walk was along the river in the section of the campground that is water only. Even that is pretty near filled - they have a sign at the entrance stating dry camping only. I'm lucky I showed up when I did - the sign has been up most of the week & during my walks I haven't seen any empty spaces in the electric & water sites, either the permanent or 2 week sections.

Some of the trailers & motorhomes in the water only section are here for the duration, and have 200 - 400 watts of solar on the roof, most tilted to improve the collection of solar energy in the low winter sun. At least one motorhome is really prepared for dry camping - it had over 1000 watts worth of panels scattered across the roof. A few also have portable Honda & Yamaha inverter generators (the quiet kind). The row starts about 300' from my trailer & I've never heard a generator, so I'm guessing there are no construction specials in the collection.

While it was quite warm today (at 3:30 it was 75°F) the clouds moved in & the wind picked up. I don't have a wind gauge, but it is enough that it shakes the trailer, and puts a bit of a chop on the river. I managed to sit outside until about 4:30, then decided to come inside.

Just before I came in I noticed a strange cloud - well before sunset one small cloud decided to show some color. If I remember from what little meteorology I've read, it is caused by ice crystals - in any case it only lasted for a couple of minutes before it went back to a normal cloud. You may have to look at the large version to see it...

Dinner will be left over meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and snap peas.

Until tomorrow -

1 comment: