Monday, June 20, 2011

UT State Route 12

Today's Photo - Grosvenor Arch on the Cottonwood Road, GSENM.














The plan for today was to drive UT 12. The day started out cold @ 44°F this morning, but warmed quickly. I took a couple of photos along UT 12, one of the most scenic in Utah, but they don't do the road justice. With the expansive views, you have to be there, particularly along the section of road that travels a ridge. There is a 100'+ drop on either side, little or no shoulders and, of course, no guard rails. After driving some of the dirt backroads I've been on, it didn't bother me, but the people on the campsite next to me yesterday were from Québec, and they were not happy with it!


Speaking (well, typing) of dirt roads, I drove another section of Cottonwood Road, this time from the top south. I wanted to see Grosvenor Arch which is about 18 miles south of Kodachrome Park. I've only missed about a 10 mile section of the road between Kodachrome & US 89 near Page, AZ, and according to the volunteer at the GSENM Visitor's Center (the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument) the section between Kodachrome & the arch is the worst part of the road. I probably could have pulled the trailer over the length of it, however I would have to put half the stuff in the cabinets back - lots of washboard & bumps.

After returning from the arch I went back to Kodachrome (which is on Cottonwood Road) for a few more photos of sections I didn't get to when I stopped there with Don & Anne on June 10th.

I suspect today's post will be late - my connection here at Bryce Pioneer Village is Verizon only @ 24K, or half of a normal dial up connection. I may drive the 6 miles to Ruby's Inn for a connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment