Monday, June 13, 2011

Canyonlands, The Needles, UT

Today's Photo - A tree along the walk to Cave Spring, The Needles section of Canyonlands National Park, UT













Wow, I only had to make a 1/3 of a pot of coffee this morning!  With Don & Anne along we go through two pots (it is a 4 cup coffee maker). I made reservations at Arch View Campground which is about 9 miles north of Moab. Beautiful views in all directions, family style bathrooms, but they put me in a fairly small space - I have to park the RAV4 behind the trailer.  On top of that there is a female mulberry tree next to the site (at least it is on the left side) that drops berries all over the place - they get tracked into the trailer & are tough to clean off the floor.

When I made the reservation the woman on the phone suggested I drive out to the Needles section of Canyonlands on the way rather than make the 75 mile drive from the campground.  I did, and there were many nice rock formations throughout the drive & park.  They are tough to photograph because the appeal is the overall view & that just doesn't fit in the normal frame of the camera.  I did take some panoramas that I'll try to stitch together after I get home. There are more images from Canyonlands on today's Lakeshore Images page, at least as soon as I get it posted.

I have to take a break from the trip report to mention a former student.  Brian Ronan was one of my  students at SUNY Oswego - last night he won a Tony Award for his sound design of The Book of Mormon.  Having one of your students excel is one of the greatest rewards of teaching - I've had many successful students, but Brian is the first to win a Tony.

Back to today - I'm in site 42 for the next 3 days.  The plan is to explore Arches, Canyonlands, and the sights of Moab.

Till Tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment