Wednesday, October 20, 2021

2021 - 2022 Trip To The Southwest

Rescue Exercise

Wednesday, October 20, 2021 - Oswego, NY - 0 Miles, 0 Miles for the Trip

After taking a winter off and spending it in Oswego, mostly because traveling during the Covid era when vaccines were not available didn't make much sense, I'm heading out. I am fully vaccinated (even got my booster shot) and am ready for a trip to Arizona. I did a few changes to the trailer over the last year, including adding an additional lithium battery for a total of 3, and switched my portable 160 watt solar panel to a 300 watt flexible panel that is smaller & lighter. 

The truck is packed, and the trailer is as packed as I can do ahead of leaving day. There will be a bunch of last minute additions on Thursday.

The trailer has 30,942.8 miles on it, the truck at 42,404. 

The first month or so of the trip is a bit unusual for me in that I've made reservations all the way up to November 28th. I usually avoid reservations since I prefer to be flexible in my traveling plans, but during summer travel I found that getting sites without reservations was difficult. While the winter is probably better, I still decided to reserve when I could. I do have a stop planned at Jeff Busby Campground on the Natchez Trace that doesn't take reservations and hope I'll be able to get a site. If not, I'll look for the nearest commercial campground. Because I made reservations, I am pretty much duplicating my 2019 trip, at least until Big Bend National Park in Texas. I've also discovered that many state & national parks have gone to reservation only (with many not allowing reservations within two days of arrival) rather than keeping a bunch of first come sites. While this solves the money handling problems, it makes it difficult for unscheduled stops. It is also a bit annoying to see all the reserved, but empty sites since many national parks camping fees are under $10.00 per night with the various park passes. While some state parks are as expensive (or even more) than the nearby commercial parks, there are many that are also so inexpensive that people make reservations that, if they they don't use, they don't bother to cancel. I'm not sure what the solution is but since the park is being paid for the site, they don't seem to be in a hurry to find one.

Enough whining. I'm on a schedule for the first month & will live with it. The first long stay will be at Hungry Mother State Park in Virginia for a fiberglass rally. Many of the usual activities won't happen because of Covid, but it will be nice to see folks that I haven't seen in over a year.

I made my last deliveries for Meals on Wheels until next April then packed everything I wouldn't need overnight. A bit of excitement at St Luke's Apartments (my Meals on Wheels delivery location). A fire truck was pulled up to the building with a truck ladder going to one of the balconies. Luckily, it was an exercise for the fire crews.

After that I did some last minute shopping, then returned to continue packing the trailer. By the way, it was a beautiful day. Oswego is just trying to keep me from leaving for Arizona - it hit 68°F this afternoon. Of course I know better - January is coming. I quit packing around 4:00 as a light rain began to fall.

Until Tomorrow - 

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to traveling along as youhead west. Hope to see you come January. Jeff Busby was a magnet for Canadians traveling south before covid. I'm thinking you'll find a site there this year.

    ReplyDelete