Monday, March 18, 2019

Day 226, Monday, March 18, 2019 - Toad Suck Corps of Engineers Campground, Conway, AR

Afternoon Light & Moon
Monday, March 18, 2019 - Toad Suck Corps of Engineers Campground, Conway, AR - 99.7 Miles, 10,090.9 Miles for the Trip

I took a couple of photos of the hill across the river from the campground. Great light and I even managed to include the 3/4 moon in one. I do wish the water was a bit smoother to do a better reflection...

I didn't rush the morning since I was only driving 100 miles or so. Almost all of it was on US 64, which, in this area is parallel to and at time next door to I 40. Every once in awhile I was tempted to hop on the interstate, particularly when I was stuck behind a slow driver, but as I've mentioned, I prefer the secondary roads and am willing to take a few extra minutes to get where I'm going.

The campground office suggested that I take a look at the sites in the "A" section before making a reservation. They are labeled as "slight" slope at Recreation.gov, but she chuckled about that. I checked them out, and while I might have been able to lower the tongue enough to level the trailer, I had to agree with her assessment. I drove over to the half full first come section and chose D8. $9.00  water & electric per night with the Senior Card. I did have to do a bit of side to side leveling, but the rest of the site was level. Since I'm here for 4 days, I unhooked the truck for the first time in over a week.

I forgot to ask at the office where the name came from, but it isn't just the campground. The name is on one of the side roads, a couple of stores, etc.

I drove to the Conway Kroger's for some supplies, and the local Walmart for a new coffee pot. Although it was only 7 miles, they were long miles with lots of traffic lights, traffic circles, and 35MPH speed limits.

Back at the campground I headed to the "A" section for a shower (no bathrooms here in the first come loop). Typical COE bathroom - everything in one room with a high pressure showerhead. No hooks, and only the handicap fold down tables to put things on. Also unusual for the COE, no toilet paper. The bathroom was nice & clean; maybe it was a busy weekend.

Dinner was a Private Selection Thin Crust Grilled Mushroom & Truffle Oil Pizza. A long name for a Kroger brand pizza described as a product of Germany. I find it hard to believe they shipped it over on a boat, but that is what it says! In any case, it was good.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment