Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Day 255, Monday, April 16, 2018 - Cades Cove Campground, Great Smoky Mountain National Park, TN, Day 9

A Yurt, Complete With Wood Stove

Monday, April 16, 2018 - Cades Cove Campground, Great Smoky Mountain National Park, TN, Day 9 - 0 Miles, 6,982.6 Towing Miles For the Trip

The good news - the rain has finally ended. The bad news? It is snowing! I manages to make it through December, January & February without snow, now here in the "South" it is snowing in mid April. Not unusual for my home town of Oswego, but I'm a thousand miles south of upstate NY.

Of course, it could be far worse. I'm in a trailer with a furnace; there are a couple of tenters that arrived late last night that I suspect are not appreciating the morning cold & snow (it was 37°F at 7:00AM, and is only going to get into the low 40's today). Two days ago it was 83°F. I'm glad I planned this trip for all 4 seasons - I'm currently wearing long johns & a sweatshirt, even sitting in the trailer. I suppose I could crank up the thermostat, but for some reason, 60°F seems right.

I spent the morning sitting in the trailer. I had my last packet of oatmeal for breakfast. It will be nice to move to a site with hookups tomorrow. While I have no problem using as much electricity as I want out in the treeless desert, even on a clear day the shadows of the branches over the trailer cut the output of the solar panels by 2/3s their normal. I've been making hot water for coffee on the stove & using the drip coffee maker as if it was a Melita coffee maker. While it works, I prefer just plugging it in!

When I went for my walk around the campground, it was 4:00, and down to 35°F. There are only two other occupied sites - a teardrop from NY, and a yurt, complete with a wood stove & chimney through the roof. I'll bet they are warmer than I am! While there is no snow on the ground here in the campground, it is still falling off & on, and the hill tops next to the campground are covered with a thin layer.
Dinner was a bowl of Campbells' Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup.

Until Tomorrow -

2 comments:

  1. Snow. Rain. Last packet of oatmeal. Man, you truly are having winter in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to stop at the local IGA once I reached Townsend. Civilization at last!

    ReplyDelete