Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Photos of Additions & Modifications (Long)

Spring in Oswego, NY
Spring in Oswego came early, and, as usual, very changeable (photos are a couple of days apart).

In any case, I've been discussing trailer modifications in the last couple of posts so now that I'm almost done, I thought some photos of them might be worth posting.

The first shows both the Progressive EMS-HW30C Surge Protector & the Xantrex ProWatt SW 1000 watt inverter. While I installed the surge protector early this summer & it has shut down the trailer a couple of times because of low voltage & once because of reversed polarity, the inverter is new.  I like to make a cup of drip coffee in the morning, and although the coffee pot didn't require a pure sine wave inverter, some things do, so that was my choice.


Rather than adding a transfer switch, I added a dedicated outlet on the side of the sink.  The remote is located in the front of the sink cabinet.


While the Prowatt inverter remote will shut off the inverter completely, I added a heavy duty (200 amp) switch since I prefer to have a way (other than the fuse) to disconnect the input wiring to the inverter. 

I also moved the trailer disconnect switch forward so that it is easier to reach when the dinette is made into a bed (something I have pretty much done permanently).



The next additions are some fancy hooks.  I've been using the 3M temporary hooks, moving them around until I found the most useful locations for them.  I was never sure the hooks would stay on the walls (although they did) so once I found a post on the Escape Forum describing Umbra Folding Hooks, I was "hooked."


The first set is on the refrigerator wall facing the exit door.  I had to cut one hook off the length to make it fit & discovered that there is a steel hinge wire between the hooks. Oh well, I needed a new 10" fine toothed blade for the power miter box anyway!


The second one is on the bathroom wall next to the front dinette.  The photo also shows the C0 detector I added.  I also changed the smoke detector to a dual sensor version that has a hush button - got tired of taking down the one that came with the trailer & stuffing it under the bed covers every time I made toast!

A minor addition is a mirror on the inside of the bathroom door:



I also changed a couple of the LED lighting fixtures for dual LED fixtures.  One is at the head on the bed, and the other on the side of the front dinette where I usually sit.  Although neither was necessary, I like to read & for some reason, the print on paperback books seem to be getting smaller the older I get!


There have been a number of posts on the Casita Travel Trailer Forum (you may need to join to see the post) describing adding a refrigerator light - since my 5 cu ft fridge doesn't have one I thought it would make a good addition.  I used a strip long enough that it could be run up the side & part way across the top above the freezer door, that way I have light in both parts.  Probably should have used white wire to make it pretty, but black is what I had.  If it bugs me enough I'll change it in the future...


A much more involved modification was adding adjustable shelves to the closet.  It came with a closet pole for hanging clothes, however I rarely wear anything that needs hanging, and for the few shirts & jackets that do, I now have the folding hooks.  

I wanted them adjustable because I'm not sure how much space I need on each.  I went a bit overboard on the shelves - they are "stress skin"; 1/8" Luan plywood on the bottom & 1/8" White Cote Masonite Hardboard on top, separated by 1/4" hardwood strips.  I've used the technique for building light weight theatre scenery & it makes very strong, lightweight shelves.



Here are two more changes - I added a square fence post to hold the sewer hose.  The original was a 4" round drain pipe that wasn't large enough to hold a heavy duty hose with a right angle connection. 

I also added a vinyl "LakeshoreImages.com" sticker to the back of the trailer.

The rest of the changes are not worth a photograph.  Everything mentioned in the pervious post are done with the exception of the new Marinco Inlet.  I had to return the chrome, screw cover inlet since it was smaller than the hole in the side of the trailer.  I talked with Marinco, and they said they will send me a replacement for the one that the cover failed.  Hope it comes soon - I'd like to finish the projects & get the trailer ready to travel!

Next week the trailer goes for bearing  & brake service, after which it & I will be ready to head south.  Unfortunately, I have a couple of appointments the first week of April, so I'll have to stay in Oswego until then.

Till next time - 

No comments:

Post a Comment