Thursday, November 4, 2021

2021 - 2022 Trip To The Southwest, Day 15

 Thursday, November 4, 2021 -Tishomingo State Park, MS - 170.7 Miles, 1294.8 Miles for the Trip

Site 10

The first frost of the trip - If I didn't need to run the truck while hooking up, I would have needed to scrape the windshield (I did throw an ice scraper in the truck when I left Oswego, although I hoped I'd never need to use it). 

I programed Tishomingo State Park in the GPS, and no matter how hard I tried, it insisted that the Natchez Trace Parkway did not exist. I ended up on part of I 40 and many secondary roads until I found the Trace on the GPS map. Added a way point, and it still skipped it. I did make it to the park, but not on the Trace.

I spent far more time than I should have needed, but did get the GPS to accept driving on the Trace to Jeff Bushy campground, tomorrow's stop.

I'm in site 10, a short, narrow site with drop offs on all three sides. Exciting to back into. It does have a stop at the back, and with the wheels within 6" of the stop the truck is off the road & I didn't need to unhook. That said, I almost needed to get out the ladder to plug the trailer power cord. The site is on a concrete pad with water & electric (although I didn't bother hooking up the water). $16.05 for the night. While technically, I have a picnic table & fire pit, both are well down the hill from the site. It would be nice in the warmer weather to set one's chairs up looking at the lake, but this time of year I'm going to stay in the trailer. I did add details to my Campground Sites page - the sites further into the park are easier to get into, and most of those on the left (going in) have picnic tables that are more usable.

My Picnic Table

After setting up I went for a walk to the end of the campground loop making notes on the sites. There are three bathrooms, however both times I've been here the one closest to the end of the campground loop was "Closed for the Season".

The bathrooms are heated, and the showers in the one across from my site looked OK so I went for one. Not bad for an older park. Large 5'-6" X 3' and clean shower and a changing area with a dry floor just about as large with a bench. Shower curtains on the entrance & between the shower and dressing area. Medium volume showerhead, plenty of hot water, and again, the bathroom was heated. The only bad - no hooks (although it looks like there once was one) and no shelf in the shower for your stuff. Overall an A-.

I am using AT&T on the modem - 33.2Mbps down & 4Mbps up. There is a Verizon signal showing 2 bars on my iPhone 7+ but as long I'll save Verizon for when there is no decent AT&T. The AT&T data modem is unlimited and they have never slowed me down, while the "Unlimited" Verizon slows down to 600Kbs once you hit 15GB. Don't you just love the term "Unlimited"!

That was about it for the afternoon. Much warmer here at 54°F, and a predicted 39°F overnight.

Dinner was a salad & evol Butternut Squash & Sage Ravioli.

Until Tomorrow - 

4 comments:

  1. If you're unable to get a site at Jeff Busby, shoot for LeFluers Bluff SP in Jackson. A great little campground within the city limits, but you'll think you're in the wilderness. Just ignore the traffic sounds.😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't need it on this trip - I found a space at Jeff Busby. There were only 2 sites left at 12:50.

      Delete
  2. Wow, looks like the spot we had there. It was early September and the mosquitoes came put in force after dark. None during the day, don't know why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mosquitoes this time in November. Probably too cold for them. I have to say those first 10 sites are ones I wouldn't want to back into after dark by myself.

      Delete