Monday, February 25, 2019

Day 205, Monday, February 25 , 2019 - Gilbert Ray Campground, Tucson, AZ, Day 2

Bad Acting at Old Tucson
Monday, February 25 , 2019 - Gilbert Ray Campground, Tucson, AZ, Day 2 - 0 Miles, 8,523.4 Miles for the Trip

Other than a small helicopter that likes to fly directly over my site, the campground is nice & quiet. After a morning walk & breakfast, I headed for the nearest post office to mail a card. About 15 miles, and while in the middle of nowhere, a very long line stretching out the door.

On the way back I decided to check out Old Tucson. Basically, a ghost town (labeled as an old movie studio, similar to the Goldfield Ghost Town in Apache Junction across from the Lost Dutchman State Park, but rather than free, seniors pay $19.04 to get in. OK if you have kids or have never seen one, but I'd pass on it if I knew what was inside. I suspect that if you watch old westerns, some of the buildings might be familiar, but I suspect many are new.

They did have almost continuous shows going on all over the place, although the one I stopped at (and took a photo) had about the worst acting I've ever seen (and I've seen some pretty bad stuff!) All the requisite parts - horse rides, a train ride, shops selling stuff, restaurants, and a church, although it is missing the usual bordello. One unusual part was a merry-go-round. Not sure how that fits the "old west" theme, but it was there. More photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

They must have put in new towers or increased the range of the ones already here, because I'd read reviews that said the cell coverage was terrible, and both Verizon & AT&T have good, fast coverage. AT&T is 19Mbps down & 18.4Mbps up.

After that it was back to the trailer for my afternoon eye drops, then off to the Tucson Apple store for a Thunderbolt 3 to Ethernet adapter.

No problem finding the Apple Store (other than a long drive through Tucson). On the way back I stopped at a Safeway, and an Allstate agent to renew my auto insurance. That was a bit more difficult - the first one was somewhere in a mall, but I never found it. The second one moved, so I had to backtrack a bit to find it. Driving back into the campground I noticed a "Full" sign.

Dinner was baked chicken & deviled egg potato salad from Safeway.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment