Saturday, September 9, 2017

Day 36, Saturday, September 9, 2017 - The Narrows, Princeton, OR, Day 3

The Round Barn
Saturday, September 9, 2017 - The Narrows, Princeton, OR, Day 3, 0 Miles, 640.8 Towing Miles For the Trip

Happy birthday to me!

I ate breakfast at the Narrows Restaurant. Good hash browns, just an OK ham & cheese omelet, although there it was large enough that I left a bit behind.

After breakfast I headed south on OR 205 to explore more of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. The first stop was at the Sod House Ranch. Lots of old barns & buildings, including the Long Barn.

Next stop was the Buena Vista Overlook. While I suspect there are ponds at the base of the overlook, this time of year it is a dry field with a small pond in the distance.

Continuing south on OR 205, I turned onto Diamond Lane, then Lava Bed Road, heading to see the Round Barn. On the way I met a cattle drive, most of which was on the road. I wove my way through the cattle, and continued on to the barn. An interesting structure. I met the same cattle drive on the way back, coming up behind them. It took a bit longer to get through them all but I did get a couple of pictures through the windshield (no way I was getting out of the truck!)

While I will be going through Frenchglen tomorrow on the way to Page Springs campground, I decided to check out the campground since I was already within 15 miles of it. A small Mercantile & the Frenchglen Hotel, a state heritage site. I drove the two miles beyond the hotel to the campground. Large sites, with about 4-5 empty ones. I hope more will move on tomorrow. At the hotel there was an excellent AT&T and Verizon signal. I didn't check at the campground, but it is close enough that I suspect it will be OK.

On the way back I stopped to take a photo of an interesting hillside. By the way, if I don't make it clear where some of the photo stops are, remember that I usually add coordinates to the EXIF data with the large photos.  An on line "Pic to Map" viewer will show the locations on Google Maps. The rest of today's photos are at today's LakeshoreImages page.

After getting back to the campground I filled the gas tank (at $3.599 per gallon)

I'm still full from the 3 egg breakfast omelet, hash browns & sourdough toast, so I'm just having some cheese & crackers for dinner.

Until next time -

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday. I just found you blog. I like your writing very much. Also the miles and campground info.

    ReplyDelete