Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Rest of Nantucket

Sharing Ice Cream at Sconset
First, I must apologize for not updating these posts. It is now September, and I am just getting back to the page. Things got very busy at Nantucket, with friends & my daughter & grandkids arriving. It got even busier after returning to Oswego. No good excuse, so here is the rest of the trip: 

Don & Anne arrived on the 15th. We did the usual visits to most of the different parts of the island including a trip to the dump (alright, transfer station & recycling center) and the Take It or Leave It where I stocked up on books. 

Karin, Brian, Valerie & Zoe arrived on the 19th. My daughter & her family have been living in Gaborone, Botswana for the last two years, and will be there for another two. They are here in the states on a "home stay", a month back in the US. They are spending most of their time in Long Island with Brian's (her husband) parents, but also came to Nantucket and later, Oswego. It was great to see the grandkids - both the girls have grown so much since the last time I saw them.

On the 20th we all got together to distribute half of Carol's (my late wife) ashes in the Atlantic at Miacomet beach, the same place my mother's ashes were distributed as well as where mine will go when the time comes. The other half will go in Lake Ontario in Oswego. Both were favorite places for both of us.

We went back to the beach the next day - the girls had a great time playing in the ocean, Zoe for the first time. One minor blip - don't bury your daughter too close to the water. They were well away from any waves until, after burying Zoe, along came a "big one". She got a mouthful of salt water, but came away laughing.

Eventually, everyone headed home, with me the last to leave, catching the 6:30AM "Eagle" ferry on Saturday, the 24th. By the way, never plan to leave Nantucket on a Saturday in August. I mentioned in the first post that traveling on a weekend was a bad idea - it was worst on Saturday. I eventually got off I 90, hoping the secondary roads would be less traveled. They were, but rather than just sticking to US 20, I followed my GPS. Bad idea - I set it to avoid highways & it routed me through Connecticut & Binghamton, NY to get to Oswego. Added 100 miles & two hours to the trip home, although the dead stop backups on I90 probably would have added at least an hour to the usual 6 hour trip.

Many more photographs at the Lakeshore Images page.

Once back in Oswego Karin & family flew up from Long Island & we distributed the rest of Carol's ashes in Lake Ontario.  The following day we went to the New York State Fair.  Valerie "caught" 3 sharks which she traded in for a pink elephant, got to feed carrots to a giraffe, and we all got to see my first place winning photograph of "House on Fire" in Mule Valley, Utah.  Unfortunately, all too soon they had to return to Long Island to get ready for the trip back to Botswana. More NY State Fair photos here.


Recently, I've been making some changes, additions & modifications to the trailer and getting ready for a short weekend trip to Niagara Falls, Ontario for the Niagara Wine Escape 2013 Rally. Details & photos of the changes at the bottom of my Trailer Modification Page.

 I'll add some posts from the rally.

Till then - 

No comments:

Post a Comment