Saturday, October 22, 2011

Babcock State Park, WV - Day 2

The Glade Creek Grist Mill, Babcock State Park, West Virginia



















It's a beautiful day. Although it went down to 34°F last night, a unfamiliar orange yellow glob appeared in the eastern sky. Yes, the sun and for the first day of the trip! Since it was still pretty cold I decided to put off a shower until this afternoon. 

I drove out to the mill to try for some sun lit images. Since it was a Saturday, they opened the mill. They also started to run water through the mill race. The creek level is too low for actually milling cornmeal, but they let enough through to turn the wheel.

Because it was a weekend and, because the mill was open, it was difficult to get shots without the crowd, but I tried. So, if you want to see some sun lit photos of the Grist Mill, check today's Lakeshore Images page.



After spending the morning shooting the mill I drove through some of the park roads. Found a pretty lake that was still showing some fall color. After that it was back to the campground for a shave & shower. Although it had warmed up to a little over 50°F, it was still a very "brisk" exit from the hot water. Still, it is nice to be clean!

I drove to Rainelle to pick up some of the groceries I managed to forget to pack (such as mustard) and some fresh fruit, then back to the campground. I almost forgot what US 60 was like. Beautiful hills & valleys, but not the road to haul the trailer. Just the 11 miles to Rainelle included 2 miles of 8% grades.

A quick dinner of hot dogs & Grandma Browns Sauce Pan Beans (hey, it isn't always steak!) and I worked on posting today's pages.

Since I did get some nice sun lit photos of the mill, I'll probably leave tomorrow & head back to Oswego. I might try for the Mabry Mill on the way (Yes, I know it isn't really on the way!)

Until tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. You're living in the the "sweet lane"...great photo's...next time I visit my daughter in Va.... your trip will be on my list of....places to go...thanks for sharing...keep it up....I'm on my last leg...heading home...Horst

    ReplyDelete
  2. The late start finally caught up with me at Mabry Mill. Really too late for good photos. I'm now on my way home as well. I am jealous of your trip out west. I'll have to winterize the trailer as soon as I get home. It has been in the low 30's over night even in WV. Hate to put it away, but there is always next year!

    Take care & have a good trip home.

    ReplyDelete