Sunday, March 20, 2011

Welcome to Spring!

Today's Photo - Spring!
























Officially, today is Spring.  It was 24°F this morning, and is only up to 37° now, but I have to admit there are signs.  The photo above is the tree line in front of the house.  I planted a couple of rows of daffodils between the trees.  It is time to dig them up & replant - they are crowding each other out, but I never seem to get around to it.  The do look great for a couple of weeks. but now they are just peaking up through the ground.  Hard to believe there is a lawn between the trees & the road.  With the heavy snow this winter the amount of salt & sand at the edge of the road is amazing.

I did one spring ritual - trimmed the grape arbor.  I have 6 plants of a Concord derivative I planted in 1975 that are still going strong.  I mostly use them for grape juice.  My method (which comes from the ball canning book) is to dump a cup of whole grapes in a quart jar, fill with boiling water & 1/2 cup of sugar, and boiling water process for 45 minutes.  I have to admit they look a little strange, but as long as you strain it as you pour, it is pretty good grape juice, and is awfully easy to make.

A couple more "Flower" photos:
The daffodils at the base of the grape arbor.  There are also some tulips that are just breaking through.
The first crocus.
We still have snow, at least where it has been shoveled off the front deck. Underneath the snow pile is my climbing rose.  I hope it melts in time for the rose to start growing!










Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment