Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A New iPhone

Today's Photo - Rustic Falls, Moran State Park, Orcas Island, Washington













Well, I made the big mistake of going to the Apple Store.  I had a good reason - My 2 generation old iPhone was giving me problems.  Actually, the problem was of my own making, although I feel Apple is really at fault due their use of the english language.  I wanted to turn on the restriction for in-app purchases.  My problem is the meaning of "on".  To me, when a restriction is on, the term should be restricted.  Apple wants you to set a restriction to "off" for it to be restricted.  So, to make a long story short, I managed to turn off just about everything except on-line app purchases!  Since I updated a bunch of apps at the same time as well as changed a bunch of other things, I didn't realize what the problem was.

It only took the iPhone "Genius" a couple of seconds to fix it.  As long as I was there, I looked at the iPhone 4.  Big Mistake! More memory - they start at 16Gb (I have to remove music or apps to add any new ones since I've maxed out the 8Gb of my 3G phone) and the iPhone 4 is so much faster.  It didn't take too much to talk me into a replacement.  Good thing the iPad2 tablets aren't here yet!

The new phone was great until I got it home, and even worked fine with my Sony dock. That evening it crashed while running Pandora in the dock, and started rebooting every time I quit an app.  Back to the Genius Bar - this is the first of many apple products (been purchasing them since an Apple II) that was DOA.  No problem - they exchanged it for a new one & since I took my laptop with me, I was able to registered it & reload my apps while there just to be sure the original phone was the problem.

So, although the original plan was to wait to upgrade until the iPhone 5 came out, things changed.  Now I have to stay away from the store after March 11th (the day the iPad2 becomes available!)

Till next time.

5 comments:

  1. Hello from Ithaca!

    My wife is a serious fangirl, and cannot be trusted near an Apple store.

    We plan to take off in April, as well. See you down the road!

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand you wanting to keep her away from Apple Stores! Wish I could do the same. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple Stores are dangerous places. I've used Apples (Macs) since the 80s, and I can't say enough good things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here. My first was a 16K Apple II. Until Apple started a normal distribution system through the college bookstore, I was the Mac Rep on campus. I ended up selling hundreds of them. It was a fun time living through the growth of Apple.

    ReplyDelete