Saturday, May 17, 2014

Maryhill State Park, WA, Day 2 & NOG, Day 1

Stonehenge WW I Memorial
Friday, May 16, 2014, Maryhill State Park, WA, Day 2 - 0 miles, 8719.0 For the Trip

I played tourist today. First stop - Stonehenge, no, not the one in England, but right here in Maryhill just a couple of miles from the campground. It was built by Sam Hill as a World War I memorial.

After the memorial, I headed for the Maryhill Museum of Art. The building was planned as a private residence for Sam Hill, however he converted it to a museum and never lived there. It is an amazing collection of memorabilia from Queen Maria of Romania, paintings & sculptures, and a large collection of Native American artifacts. I enjoyed the Theatre De La Mode exhibits as well as a large collection of chess pieces. Another surprise was the Rodin Gallery, a collection of his sculptures.

After the museum, I made a short stop to see a historic locomotive. It didn't photograph well since it was in a small cage, but it was a huge engine. The last stop was a drive west along WA 14 to Dale Mountain Road. There were suppose to be wildflowers in bloom, but I was either too early or too late - not much other than a couple of interesting trees.

When I got back to the campground I made a round of the park taking photos of all the trailers; even got one of me.

After that it was time to head to Paul & Norma's site for hot dogs, a beer exchange, and sitting around the fire. Lots of photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.


Until tomorrow -

1 comment:

  1. GREAT post...as always....enjoyed the story line and the photo's...the Chess Pieces reminded me of one I purchased at a Flea Market in Adderbury, England back in '77 ...not as ornate......but...You seem to be enjoying this Trip....I am envious....keep those posts and photo's coming...Horst sends

    ReplyDelete