Thursday, May 8, 2014

Clyde Holliday State Park, OR & John Day Fossil Beds

Painted Hills, John Day Fossil Bed National Monument
Wednesday, May 7, 2014, Clyde Holliday State Park, OR & John Day Fossil Beds, - 0 miles, 8251.7 For the Trip

While there were 0 miles on the trailer, the RAV4 didn't relax! I got an early start to visit the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, and managed to put almost 300 miles on the clock. It is a large national monument, spread over three major sections. I visited the Sheep Rock Unit, and the Painted Hills, but skipped the Clarno Unit. Lots of photos - I'll do a separate page for most of them, but there are a few on today's LakeshoreImages page.

I shot a couple of panoramas, and used one of them for today's photo. If you have a fast internet connection, Here is a large (2.62MB) version.

It is an interesting place with all kinds of colors & formations. Not too many visitors, although I did meet and talked with an artist on one of the trails. My poor RAV4 is very dirty - many of the roads in the monument are gravel; good condition, but dusty. There are no car washes in John Day, so washing will have to wait.

Since it was already 5:30 when I got back to the campground, I picked up some baked chicken at the Thriftway grocery store in John Day.

Until tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment